Saturday, September 4, 2010

From Poetic Asides Wed.Sept.1.10 prompt "setting the world on fire, or a variant thereof"












Burning Well

“Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.”
Leonard Cohen

Four plus decades and still
A glance, my insides turn molten
You pass close enough and I
Imagine your breath on my neck
And touch, feeling for the scorch scar
I am sure is throbbing there

Even in the everydayness of things
You fire me alive, quicken my breath
Heat parts of me I cannot deny
And you never leave me ablaze
To burn out alone

You char me with scents of passion
Under-laid with love unfaltering
Dusky autumn’s blazing bonfires
Hints of Rumi’s champa flowers
Permit me to smoulder always
Crave your flame

Four plus decades and still
You light my life, my heart, my soul.

S.E.Ingraham©

No comments:

Post a Comment