Friday, April 22, 2011

Poetic Asides April Challenge Day 03 prompt "imagine a world without you"

Had I Not Lived



There was I time
I would have said
It wouldn’t have
Made much difference

Back in my very bad
times, spent putting
One foot in front
Of the other

But after a few
Better, even good
Years — had I not lived
One man and two girls

Would have been
The poorer for
Not having had
Me in their lives

I know this because
They tell me so
In moments
Of weakness

Had I not lived
Some gossips with whom I am acquainted
Would have been denied
Rich amounts of material

Every time I
Stepped off the curb
In a new and spectacular
Fashion

And even some friends
And acquaintances
Would not have had the
Heart-warming feeling

That can only be gained
By helping one as needy
As I know I tended to be
Had I not lived

I believe a great number
Of people might not
Be the kind, compassionate
Folks they turned out to be

I could be wrong entirely
maybe most of them
Would have found another
Needy, hopeless, helpless

Type to care for ...
Had I not lived, who knows?







No comments:

Post a Comment