Sunday, July 29, 2012

NO GORDIAN KNOT THIS








Again last night, that song so strange
As if channeled by some wayward choir
Interrupted my sleep and then I was
Falling in that unsettling way
That only frenzied nightmares provoke
Falling and rolling like a huge ball of twine
All unraveling with smooth parts and rough bits too
But with no real hope of finding a place to settle
And through it all I knew it was the end—
Of my life that is—at least the robust healthy
One of which I've grown complacent
Taking for granted the way one does
The sublime nature of an ordinary life
I knew this was it, a final attack of sorts
And nothing to be done but play it out

S.E.Ingraham

12 comments:

  1. Ahh, love this, Sharon. Your description of the process sounds so familiar, as if I have undergone this, and, to an extent, I have, parts of it. We probably all have. Thank you for getting it down on paper [so to speak]!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a real life-lesson in your piece. Nicely done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring your reader into the dream, allow her to feel, and be reeled into those feelings. Your conclusion is solid truth, we can do no more than roll with it and hope for something lighter and brighter tomorrow. thank you,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful, Sharon! You have captured this experience perfectly. I especially love: "Falling and rolling like a huge ball of twine All unraveling with smooth parts and rough bits too But with no real hope of finding a place to settle." Beautifully crafted. Great use of the words. A brilliant poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. You capture the dream and the inevitability of life. "Nothing to be done but play it out" is lovely, real and true. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, Sharon. Title especially, and that "wayward choir." Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of the wordle words. I forgot them and got into the poem. I love the wayward choir!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "And nothing to be done but play it out" ... Tis true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful use of this prompt. Love the poem, particularly the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Sharon... you have brought to life that dream... lovely metaphor, this is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. stirring...to know that life as we know it is ending like that....the growing complacent to it as well...all too real for me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much - poor form to get back here and say thanks just in time to post the next wordle but what can you do? On vacation and travelling, I'm surprised I'm getting as much writing done as I am ... but I do appreciate the comments, I do ... so thanks again.

    ReplyDelete