Saturday, September 29, 2018

POSTCARD FEST 2018 August/September– the reflection

This was my fifth year taking part in August’s Poetry Fest.

It's one of my favourite things to do and has the added bonus of making me look forward to summer. Believe it or not, summer is my least favourite season – maybe because I’m a child of winter, born in February and born in the northern hemisphere, and I’ve always lived in a cold climate. There’s something about being able to layer up if  I'm cold that appeals to me, of having a fire in the fireplace, making me cozy.

But trying to get cool when it’s baking hot out, feeling sticky and close to melting - that holds no allure for me.  Have I always felt like this? I can’t remember. Maybe it’s because I developed a sensitivity to sunlight after I had my kids. 

My doctor jokingly tells me I have “Michael Jackson's disease” – he’s teasing of course –  I thought I was getting age spots, but no - I have vitiligo; the sun was bleaching whole swaths of my skin and that which was left, looked tan or gravy-stained. The pale parts were pretty much the white that Jackson ended up being by the end of his life. (I doubt he had vitiligo, but maybe...)

I protect my skin with a vigilance I didn’t think I had in me.

Well, that was more of a prelude than I had planned…

The photo I'm showing on the Po Po FaceBook page, and here, are the cards I’ve received as of yesterday, September 28, 2018 – they include 26 from Group 3 (3, I’m still trying to identify the senders – see them posted on FB, plus one I rec’d after posting the group shot – that’s yours Colette – love the photo – I’m guessing it’s Venice? And the poem knocked my socks off), plus 6 bonus cards.

I see many people have talked about their process this year and I had intended to do likewise but there’s not a whole lot to say that’s very interesting. I may have mentioned that I like to use lines or phrases from other poets or writers as jumping off points, prompts if you will.

Last year I paid tribute to the great Leonard Cohen as he had just recently died. This year I used Canadian poet Elizabeth Bachinsky’s work and exclusively her poems from the book Home of Sudden Service – nothing that would be recognizable as hers, but hers all the same.

I finally came to the realization this year also, that I enjoy using my own photographs for the postcards more than any others, and tend to write poems I like the best when I do– I’m not saying they’re the best poems, just that I find them enjoyable to write. Keeping that in mind, I will start taking more pictures during the year that I hope to make into postcards.

August’s Poetry Fest is one of my more sociable times. I am a bit of a hermit, or as my husband says, a slightly agoraphobic poet. For some reason, it is often difficult for me to make myself go out of the house and “mingle”. The computer and social media, plus email and online courses have saved me from me in a lot of ways.

So, thanks once again to Paul for doing this every year – it really is rewarding. And especially thanks this year for suggesting the “internationals” get bonus cards. That was very sweet. Not only did I get a bunch, it made me want to send some – I may even send a few more!

And thanks to all the regulars for the cards and for the chit-chat on the FB page – it feels like having a family; a very nice, warm family.

Here’s where the cards I sent are stored – because some were late going out, they will be late showing up here, but they will show up sooner or later; they’re scheduled.








The cards that I sent should be available to view at the link to this site - if you are interested and can't see some, scroll to the bottom and click on either "older posts" or "newer posts" and it should take you to the others.

I remind everyone - I was late with about eight on my list (group 3) this year and they might not show up until mid to late October, plus any bonus cards ... same deal.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to look, read, and even comment. I appreciate you to the moon and back. SEI








No comments:

Post a Comment