Monday, October 15, 2018

INTO THE PALE FOREST LIGHT*



I slink, padding softly as a moccasin-wearing native
from any of the North American tribes. If I am
hunting, my prey is unlikely to hear my approach but
should the herd mentality alert them, no matter. I am
one of the fastest beings on the planet. I can go from 
0-60 mph in 3 seconds, and run flat out at 75 mph.
My acceleration makes me faster than a Lamborghini, 
a Ferrari, even a McLaren. My flexible spine and unique 
physique make me able to turn on a dime, run like mercury, 
grip most any surface…When I am running my fastest, 
all four paws spend more time in the air than on the ground
 – simultaneously! Stretched out, I can measure twenty-five 
feet. I sleep high in trees for thirteen or fourteen hours most 
nights, and hunt during the day. I am beautiful.

*From Elizabeth Bachinsky’s poem Of a Time 
from the book home of Sudden Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment