Saturday, March 5, 2011

Poetic Asides Wednesday Challenge prompt "better__________"March 2.2011

Better You than Me

How often have I said these words
Or even had just the thought flit
Across my mind

Some situation has developed quite
Unexpectedly that could have gone
Either way

I could have been the one with the red
Face, the embarrassing result, the need
To explain

But, due to a fluke of timing or nature
Or any number of serendipitous happenings
This time, it is you

This time, I get to see you take the fall
Eat humble pie, or crow, or whatever it is
We’re calling it

This time when someone has to take responsibility
For that which has not gone as planned
Has in fact, turned out wrong
  
This time, I get to breathe a sigh of relief
And if not say it aloud, at least think it
Better you than me

No comments:

Post a Comment