Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Poetic Asides Wednesday Challenge prompt "song title for poem title" Feb 23.2011

Whispering Hope

He wasn’t very religious, I said
To the soft-spoken, sweet pastor
Who wanted to know if you
Had accepted Christ into your life

And neither am I; it made choosing
Hymns for your service a bit
Challenging – he seemed to sense
I didn’t want to be hypocritical

When I told him about Mom
Playing “Whispering Hope” afternoons
After school,  on the upright
How much we both grew to love that

I didn’t tell him it was mostly
Because if she was playing it
She wasn’t freaking out about us
Crazed and nervous and screaming

Just that the song sticks with me
Fondly and that I was sure you would
Like it played in your memory
Symbolically, it says it all, really

No comments:

Post a Comment